Skip to main content

Cheese Grits and Cornbread Casserole

We have been out-of-town for a few days celebrating our anniversary. 
I did want to touch on a couple of comments from last week. 

I appreciate my friend, Wayne, sharing his thoughts on the Sausage Squares recipe. I usually use mild-flavored sausage, because that's what Larry and the kids like. I encourage you to experiment with using different varieties of sausage - mild, hot, sage or a combination.  If "hot" is too hot for your taste, but you want more of a kick than you get with "mild," use half mild and half hot. Freeze any leftover browned sausage for the next use.
Also, Wayne mentioned halving the recipe and baking it in an 8x8 pan. I, too, generally have great results halving a recipe designed for a 9x13 dish and using an 8x8 pan.  Thanks for the great tips, Wayne!

Also, there were a couple of questions about the Sausage Bread recipe, which is an all-time favorite of our Sunday school class.  
For clarification, I brown and drain the sausage really, really well. For our family to just eat it at home, I even put it in a colander and rinse it with very hot water. I read on another site of a lady who pours boiling water over hers. You'd be surprised how much fat this removes! If you have sensitive kitchen pipes, don't do this!

I do just use the regular Pillsbury pizza crust - not the thin variety. I have used the frozen pizza dough balls you can buy at Sam's. It's funny that some people prefer the Sam's dough, and others prefer the Pillsbury! They are fairly similar to me, but you can experiment with both to see which one your family likes best. You could try a loaf of frozen bread dough, too. I hope this helps. The next time I make this recipe, I will try to make step-by-step photos. 

I appreciate all your comments! I love hearing how you guys tweak the recipes for your families!  
God bless ~ Connie


I made this for Sunday school this morning. My friend Donna also brought a great grits and sausage casserole that I look forward to sharing the recipe for soon.  Bless her heart, she has given this recipe to me several times over the years, and I keep losing it.  She's graciously agreed to share it once more!



Cheese Grits and Cornbread Casserole

Cheese Grits and Cornbread Casserole

Grits and cornbread in one dish! It doesn’t get any more Southern than this! The Jiffy mix gives this a subtle sweetness that's a bit different, but nice! This dish would work well for supper, too!


4 cups water
1 cup quick grits
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cut into pats
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 pound sausage, browned and drained
1 box Jiffy cornbread Mix
2 cups shredded cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Bring water to a boil.  Add grits and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add butter. Whisk until smooth.
Beat eggs with milk.
Stir together cooked grits, cooked sausage, egg mixture, Jiffy cornbread mix and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Spoon mixture into prepared pan and top with remaining cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Comments

  1. great! Very good taste. Yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this casserole! Can you freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried freezing this, but I don't see why you couldn't freeze the unbaked mixture. You could probably freeze it cooked, as well. My friend, Donna, makes a breakfast casserole with a grits base that is frozen before being baked. Hers is delicious.
    Let me know if you decide to try freezing this. I will be very interested in knowing how it turned out!!
    God bless ~ Connie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing! I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s