Skip to main content

Voodoo Pasta and "Biscuit" Rolls


We all really, really liked liked this, and I will definitely make it again! The kids had lots of fun with the name of this dish, too!

Because we are still paying the price for all those delicious fried veggies we ate this summer, I took a few steps to make this meal a bit more healthful. To save a few fat grams, I used a package of Butterball Turkey Smoked Sausage and nixed the butter in the sauce. I cut the Parmesan cheese to 1/3 cup. We all thought my lighter version was still very good! I think adding a few shrimp right at the end of sauteing the sausage would make for a good variation of this dish!

I had several cans of biscuits in the fridge, so I made "Biscuit" Rolls instead of the garlic bread. To save a few fat grams and calories, I sprayed the tops of the biscuits with Parkay fat-free buttery spray and sprinkled on a tough of garlic powder. They were still good.

Of course, both the pasta and rolls would be better with butter, but I didn't have to tell y'all that, did I?


Voodoo Pasta and "Biscuit" Rolls

Thursday - Voodoo Pasta and "Biscuit" Rolls


Voodoo Pasta

Inspired by a recipe I found at:

http://thematzats.blogspot.com/2007/12/voodoo-pasta.html

12 ounces fettuccine pasta
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced on the diagonal
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, more if you want it spicier
2 cups milk (I used fat-free half-and-half.)
¾ cup Parmesan cheese, divided

Put water for pasta on to boil.

While water is reaching a boil, sauté sausage, green pepper and onion in a large non-stick skillet until lightly browned. Reduce heat to simmer and keep sausage mixture warm, stirring occasionally.

Once water reaches a full boil, add fettuccine noodles, cooking as directed on package.
While pasta is cooking, make sauce.

Sauce:

Melt butter in sauce pan. Stir in flour and Cajun seasoning. Slowly add milk. Stirring constantly until sauce is thickened. Add ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir long enough to melt cheese.

Drain pasta. Return to pasta pot. Pour sauce over noodles, stirring to coat well.

Plate pasta. Top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.


“Biscuit” Rolls

I buy the cheap, store-brand butter-flavored canned biscuits. Depending on the size of your family, you can use the 5-count or 10-count rolls of biscuits.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter; add a bit of minced garlic or garlic powder.

Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Place a refrigerated biscuit into each muffin cup. Spoon melted butter over each biscuit. Bake for about 10 minutes.

For more great meal ideas, visit Foodie Friday!!

Comments

  1. I can't imaging why I would eat a breadroll with a pasta dish...but that is my personal taste. The pasta looks very interesting with the smoked sausage.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pasta recipe and I'll file the recipe for the garlic rolls to use when the weather changes. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT!!! pasta recipe. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog--sausage and pasta--great minds think alike, LOL! I'll have to try this sauce next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As if the pasta and sausage wern't enough to get my attention, but that spiced cream sauce, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Connie,
    Thanks so much for telling me how to make the okra...I had no idea how to do it, but I loved the taste of it.
    Hubs would love it fried with a cornbread coating, me ... I can't eat anything fried due to acid reflux.
    Next time I buy it I will fry it and let you know how it turned out.

    Hubs will also like your voodoo pasta, although I would have to use hot peppers. He likes hot anything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing! I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s