Skip to main content

Chicken Fajita Chowder



Chicken Fajita Chowder


Chicken Fajita Chowder

Larry, Logan and I really liked this! I will definitely make it again! If you have already copied this recipe, please note that there was an error in the original post. I should had listed the flour as 3 tablespoons, not teaspoons. I've corrected it in the original recipe and in the re-post below. Also, I only added about 2 cups of the chicken broth. I guess it depends on how thick you like your soup. We like ours on the thicker side, so I reduced the broth. I served ours with corn tortilla strips, which contain a lot less fat than commercially prepared tortilla chips. To make these, cut corn tortillas into strips, put them on a cookie sheet, spritzed them with cooking spray, and baked them at 400 degrees until crisp, stirring occasionally.

3 tablespoons flour
1.4 ounce packet fajita or taco seasoning mix, divided (I used a packet of McCormick's Fajita Seasoning.)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
3 teaspoons olive oil
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
15-1/4 ounce can sweet corn and diced peppers, drained
15 ounce can black beans drained & rinsed
14-1/2 ounce Mexican style stewed tomatoes (I used Hunt's Seasoned Diced Tomato Sauce for Chili.)
4-1/2 ounce can chopped green chilies
1 quart chicken broth (I only used 2 cups.)
1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked (I used regular rice and simmered the soup for 20 minutes, instead of 5 minutes.)
10-3/4 ounce can nacho cheese soup (I used plain cheddar cheese soup.)

Garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, crushed tortilla chips, fresh cilantro twigs

Combine flour and 2 tablespoons of the fajita seasoning mix in large Ziploc bag; add chicken. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken. Sauté chicken in oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Reduce heat to medium-high; add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining fajita seasoning mix, corn, beans, tomatoes, chilies, broth, and rice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add soup; stir until heated through. Garnish as desired.

For more yummy recipes, visit:

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Tuesdays at the Table
Crock Pot Wednesday (I haven't made this in a crock pot yet.)

Comments

  1. This sounds so good. I love making soups. I am going to have to try this soon. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mexican food! Your shoup lookd delicious!

    I'm having my first giveaway, come and have a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be adding to my recipe list! I can't wait to try! YUMMO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to make soup and the family loves to eat it, so good on a cool fall day !

    This sounds so delicious, I have it saved, cant wait to try, thanks dear Connie !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect recipe for cool fall days! Thanks for sharing and for the tortilla strips idea. My hubby would enjoy this and so will I! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That look delicious! Thanks for sharing it with TATT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely giving this a try for my next soup venture. I hope you are posting this to Crock Pot Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a recipe we will definitely enjoy!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found you through Tasty Tuesday. I just love all the holy stuff in your sidebar! What neat organizing info.

    I’m hosting an October Fest Carnival of Super Foods starting Thursday. If you have any recipes with beans/legumes on your site (new or old ones), come on over to link up this week. More details at my site and the themes for the other weeks. (www.kitchenstewardship.com)

    Thank, Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing! I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s