Skip to main content

Sausage and Hash Browns Brunch Casserole

But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.
I Corinthians 7:7b


Yesterday, Brother Ken continued his messages on waiting on God . I told y'all this sermon series was going to "step all upon my toes," and it is! This week's sermon focused on the verses found in Luke 10:38-42. It's the story of Martha serving Jesus and the other guests in her home, while Mary sat at the feet of Jesus.


Luke 10:38-42
At the Home of Martha and Mary
38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
Are you a Martha or a Mary? A John or a Peter? It seems we all lean towards one of these two personality types. I am a Martha, always try to do something, fix something, be something...
I would really like to be a Mary. I even wasted a lot a time trying to be a Mary, instead of embracing and becoming the best the Martha I can be. Why do we do that?! I have dear friends who are Godly Marys, who long to be more like Martha, doing and accomplishing physical things for the Lord - putting feet to their prayers, so to speak.
God, in His infinite wisdom, created us all differently. I love how the Bible records that when Jesus came to raise Mary and Martha's brother, Lazarus, from the dead - much like Peter hopping out of the boat to walk on the water or lobbing off the officer's ear, Martha, upon hearing that Jesus was near, ran out to meet Him. Mary remained at home quietly waiting on the Lord. I find it so interesting that the Bible tells us that each of these women said the exact same words upon seeing Jesus - "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."
Both women loved the Lord in their unique ways. In the verses we looked at in church yesterday, Martha had allowed herself to grow weary in well doing, had taken her attention off Jesus and put it on her gift of service. We must never focus on the gift, but the Gift-giver. I believe God created me for service, but He wants my concentration to be on Him and my attitude to be one of gratitude for the blessing of being able to be in His service. Unfortunately, like Martha, I often forget and get caught up in the details.
I had just started the brunch casserole below, when I received calls about two different friends who had each lost a parent overnight. The casserole became very unimportant as I tried to offer a bit of comfort to these friends.
A wiser, more contemplative Mary would probably have just ditched the casserole and sent a few minutes in quite prayer. Once I completed my calls, I chose to finish the casserole, praying while I stirred and mixed. I left the dish in a slow oven and ran back home between worship services and Sunday school to get the casserole. See, I'll never be a Mary, but maybe I can consider myself an "Improving Martha."
Easy Sausage and Hash Brown Brunch Casserole


Easy Sausage and Hash Brown Brunch Casserole


This was a hit in Sunday School! It's a keeper!

4 cups frozen hash browns
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 pound sausage, browned and drained
6 eggs
1 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 c. milk
1 tsp. dry mustard (optional)

Place half of the potatoes in the bottom of 9x13-inch casserole sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with a cup of the cheese and 1/2 of sausage. Repeat layers.

Beat eggs, onion salt, salt, pepper, mustard and milk. Pour liquid over top of sausage and potato mixture. Top with last cup of cheese. Cover tightly with foil. Cook immediately, or leave in refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes, removing foil during the last few minutes of cooking to allow top to brown.

Comments

  1. This is the BEST Breakfast casserole I have ever shared with family. Its simple and even my VERY picky kids (3 and 7) LOVE it. Actually my whole extended family loves it as well. Thank you so muck for sharing it. My family enjoys it every year for the past two christmas's and will enjoy it again this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet words, Heather! I hope you and yours have a very blessed Christmas season! Many blessings ~ Connie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing! I love comments!

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s