Skip to main content

Recipe: Dessert of the Week - Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - my all-time favorite

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! It is my favorite candy bar, although it isn't truly a bar, at all!! It's two patties of sweetened peanut butter covered in rich, creamy milk chocolate! Oh, my!! It is genuinely a love-hate relationship. While I can't seem to get enough of this scrumptiously delicious treat, I am pretty sure it is one of the main culprits in providing this extra weight I tend to carry around! :)

When I was a little girl, we lived about 8 miles outside town. For quick snacks and ice cold Cokes (the kind in the little green bottles), we would go to Mr. John D. and Mrs. Hazel's country gas station/country store. The candy isle faced the door. For a small store, they kept a great array of sweet treats. Sometimes, it would take my brother a while to make his selection from among the the varied choices like a triple-package of Hardin's glazed doughnuts, the jars of Jolly Ranchers and banana, grape and green apple flavored taffy, Double Bubble bubble gum, M & M's - just plain or peanut back then, and too many other Hershey's and Mar's products to list. I was always pretty quick at choosing what I wanted. I would stare at the myriad choices a moment or two, but I almost always came away with the two-pack Reese's. If I did give in to the lure of the small individual candies like the Jolly Ranchers and taffy, I still picked up a couple of the tiny Reese's, too!

Do any of you remember the great Reese's ads in the 70's, the one where two people, one eating from a jar of peanut butter and one eating a chocolate candy bar, collided with each other? One person would exclaim, "Hey, you got peanut butter in my chocolate!" To which the other would answer, "No, you got chocolate in my peanut butter!" They would each taste the resulting combination of the collision and pronounce it wonderful! The company's used the slogan "Two Great Tastes that Taste Great Together" to sell a many an orange package of the delectable treats!

Although there are now all sorts of Reese's product choices such as Reese's Pieces, Reese's Whipps and Reese's Sticks - just to name a few, I still love the plain old twin-pack or a handful of minis!! I guess I'm getting old enough to be set in my ways. Or, maybe companies should just leave a good thing alone!! ;)

An interesting little bit of trivia:

According to Wikipedia, Steven Spielberg originally approached Mars with the idea of using M&M's in his 1982 movie, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Mars declined the offer. Spielberg later approached the Hershey Chocolate Company, who turned down the idea of using their flagship product Hershey's Kisses but chose to use Reese's Pieces instead. Immediately after the movie was released, sales of Reese's Pieces increased by 65%!

I thought we'd look at dessert recipes this month that combine the goodness of yummy, gooey peanut butter with everyone's favorite - chocolate!!

When Judy and I dined at Cafe 212 the other day, we shared a piece of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie. It was wonderful!! One of the young men (I assume an owner) said his mother-in-law made it, I believe. I highly recommend it!!

Here's my attempt at making a similar pie for my family. We all thought it was great!!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie

I think this would be pretty garnished with chocolate syrup and chopped roasted peanuts!

8 oz cream cheese
16-oz tub whip topping, thawed (I used store brand.)
1 cup peanut butter
1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
graham cracker pie shell (pre-made or use the recipe below)

Mix cream cheese, peanut butter and powdered sugar. Add cool whip; blend well. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into pie shell, mounding high in the center. Refrigerate until set. Store in refrigerator.

Graham Cracker Crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt one stick of butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Set aside.

Crush enough graham crackers to equal 2 cups of crumbs. You can use the pre-crushed crumbs, if you prefer. Add 1/3 sugar to crumbs; combine.

Add crumb mixture to butter; combine well.

Press mixture into the pie plate.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share