Skip to main content

Green Chili Cheese Puffs & Fresh Strawberry Cobbler

Proverbs 18:24b

There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
~ NIV


A true friend sticks by you like family.
~ The Message


Yesterday was just a great summer day! Because he was off from work, Larry and I got to do two of our favorite activities together: walk and cook.

We started our day with a nice long walk, and checked in with Dude for a few minutes. When we got home, Larry did some yard work, and the kids and I cleaned the house.

After lunch, Larry and I went to the grocery store and got the ingredients we needed to prepare supper. George and Judy were coming to eat with us!

Y’all know, we all have family that God gave us by virtue of our sharing a common set of genes. Then there’s family that God gives us that are just a gift. While there’s no intertwining of our genetics, there is a very strong connection of spirit. George and Judy are family of the latter nature and have been one of God's greatest blessing in our lives! Some of our favorite years were spent living across the street from George and Judy! They have rejoiced with us, and they have grieved us. They have seen us at our best, and they have seen us at our worst - and they love us anyway! Most of all, they have prayed for us, set before us the examples of how to be loving spouses and great parents, and showed us how to serve God and share his love with others. They truly are “family.”

After we returned from the grocery, Larry and I spent the afternoon together in the kitchen. It was lots of fun! I had chosen a couple of new recipes to try, and he was getting things ready for the grill and making homemade ice cream. I had laid my new cookbook from Priester’s on the counter, opened to one of the new recipes I was using. As he was working on his marinade, Larry accidentally splash Worcestershire sauce on my new cookbook. He immediately apologized and began trying to clean it off, but to no avail. Although I told him it was "ok" and "not to worry about it," I am sure he could detect the disappointment in my face and voice. He went to finish his marinade, and I returned to my meal preparations, as well. A little while later, he came over, gave me a little hug, and said, “I really am sorry about ruining your new cookbook.” By this time, I had already dismissed the incident. I assured him it was fine, and that I shouldn’t have left the cookbook in that spot to begin with.

Later, when I went to return the cookbook to its place on the shelf, it occurred to me that prior to the accident, the cookbook had been a new little treasure I possessed, but now it really belonged to me. Those stains will serve as a reminder of a fun afternoon spent in the kitchen with my husband, cooking supper for two of our favorite people in the world. The cookbook is now a true treasure!

We always have a great time when we get to visit with George and Judy!! Tonight was no exception!! Dear, sweet Judy brought us some fresh squash and tomatoes from her garden!!

Here are a couple of new recipes I tried. Everyone gave them a big thumbs up!!



Green Chili Cheese Puffs

These were very tasty! Logan and Judy thought they were great as are. Larry and I thought I might add just a bit more flour next time. This recipe was inspired by Priester's Presents Dining on the Victorian Veranda by Gene Westbrooks.
Get your copy by calling: 1-800-277-3226

½ cup butter, softened
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Using an electric mixer, cream together margarine and grated cheese.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and cayenne.
Add green chilies and flour mixture to butter and cheese mixture. Blend just until combined. If dough is a bit sticky, refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Form into small balls and bake on a sprayed baking sheet for about 12 - 15 minutes.
These can be made ahead and frozen. Freeze balls on freezer-safe plate. When frozen transfer to a plastic zippered bag. If baking from frozen state, you will need to slightly increase the cooking time, about 18 minutes or so.


Fresh Strawberry Cobbler

Fresh Strawberry Cobbler


I found this little recipe on the net. I think it would work well with peaches and blueberries, too!

1 stick butter
4 c. strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
2 c. sugar, divided
1 c. self-rising flour
1 c. milk
1/4 cup sugar, Optional - for sprinkling over cobbler

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt 1 stick butter in 9x13 inch pan.
Mix together prepared strawberries and 1 cup of the sugar. Put in saucepan, bring to boil.
Mix together second cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk. Blend until moistened. Pour batter over melted butter.
Pour strawberry mixture over batter. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.
Bake 30 minutes. Great topped with vanilla ice cream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s