Skip to main content

Review: Shrimp Scampi, Peach Pecan Salad, Atlanta Bread Co. Ciabatta Bread

Since we ate out on Thursday, we ate at home last night. Plus, I've been wanting to try Roan's Shrimp Scampi for weeks! It was definitely worth the wait!! We loved it!! It went together very quickly, too! This is one of those dishes you can have on the table in a flash, especially if you have some frozen shrimp in the freezer. We are still using some of the shrimp we bought in Destin and froze when we got home. The commercially packaged frozen shrimp that Roan uses would be even quicker!! This is a for-sure keeper recipe!!
I did make a few adjustments according to what I had on hand and ingredients that needed using. I had a package of fettuccine, so I used it. As I believe Roan has noted before, angel hair pasta cooks so quickly, it's always a great choice for speed, and we just love the texture of angel hair, too! I also chopped up a bit of fresh parsley, which was on it's last leg in our fridge, and sprinkled it and a bit of Parmesan cheese on top of our pasta and shrimp.

Since we were in Tupelo yesterday, I ran by and picked up a fresh loaf of Ciabatta bread at Atlanta Bread. It was perfect with this dish - crisp crust, chewy inside. Great for soaking up the pasta's yummy sauce!!

The salad was great, too. I did end up using Georgia peaches from the grocery, as I didn't get out to Cherry Creek Orchards, as I had hoped. They were very good, but not as good as Pontotoc-grown peaches, of course!;0 I made only a fourth of the salad dressing, which was plenty for us. I also had almonds on hand and toasted them in place of the pecans.

I thought that it was very neat that I cooked on of Roan's pasta dishes, and she cooked one of mine! I love sharing recipes!! I hope Roan and her family enjoyed their Bowtie Carbonna! We surely loved the Shrimp Scampi!! Be sure to add this recipe to your list of delicious meals that can be ready in a few moments!


Thursday, which turned into Friday - Shrimp Scampi, Peach Pecan Salad and Ciabatta bread



Shrimp Scampi

Shrimp Scampi


This is Roan’s recipe I posted a few weeks back, while we were on vacation. I am really looking forward to trying this!! All of Roan’s recipes are great!!

1 lb. shrimp (I get a bag at Sam's that is already peeled and deveined ~ Roan)
16 oz. angel hair pasta
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp. jarred chopped garlic
garlic salt to taste

Cook pasta.
In large skillet, heat butter, olive oil, and garlic.
Add shrimp (thawed) and sauté until pink. If the shrimp is already cooked, just heat it through. Add garlic salt to taste. Pour shrimp and sauce over drained pasta. Serve.


Peach Pecan Salad

Peach Pecan Salad


½ cup chopped pecans, toasted (To toast, place chopped pecans in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.) I used almonds.

Enough torn lettuce for your family
1 - 2 peeled, sliced peaches
4 green onions, chopped
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (can use heated pre-cooked)
vinaigrette dressing (bottled or make your own - recipe below)

In a large salad bowl toss lettuce, peach slices, green onions and vinaigrette. Plate. Top with bacon and toasted pecans. Serve immediately.

Homemade Vinaigrette Dressing:

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup wine vinegar(red)
3 tsp. soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients.



Atlanta Bread Company's Ciabatta Bread

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute - Regular and Reduced-Fat Versions

Although very convenient, commercially prepared condensed soups are expensive and may contain additives and ingredients you'd prefer to skip. You can use these condensed soup substitutes in dishes instead of commercially prepared condensed soups. These homemade substitutes are very easy and quick to make! They taste much better, too. I have almost stopped purchasing the canned versions. Using heart-healthy butter spreads, low-fat or fat-free milk, and low-sodium broth allows you to make these recipes more healthful. You can customize with these simple recipes by adding other seasonings such as garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, etc. Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Condensed Cream of Chicken Substitute Condensed Cream of Mushroom Substitute Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Substitute 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup milk 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese salt, to taste Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour and whisk until s

Georgia Cornbread Cake

I clipped this recipe several years ago from American Profile, which is a small magazine insert that come with our local newspaper, The Pontotoc Progress. It is yummy, yummy, yummy!  I love the story that accompanied the recipe and was delighted when a Google searched turned up the same article on the web! Larry took this to work, and he said it was a huge hit with everyone! Enjoy! Georgia Cornbread Cake Georgia Cornbread Cake   Recipe of Stella T. Thompson from American Profile "I am 86 years old and have been cooking since I was 9. This recipe has been in my family for many years. The ground pecans give it the texture of cornbread, but there isn’t any cornmeal in it." 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 4 eggs, beaten 1 cup vegetable oil 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 cups pecans, chopped very fine Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl un

Dough Burgers

  Dough Burgers Dough burgers are popular in our neck of the woods. Phillips Grocery in Oxford has received national acclaim for their top-secret-recipe dough burger. I ate two while I was staying at the hospital with my dad recently! It is the nearest restaurant!  When Larry and I were newlyweds and living in New Albany, we loved going to Latham’s for their yummy version of this delicious sandwich. Several other area cities also offer well-known versions of this unique burger. Tupelo’s Johnny’s Drive-In has the "Johnnieburger," and Corinth even has a festival named in honor of their dough burger, affectionately known as “The Slugburger.” Here in our own dear Pontotoc, we love the "Wonderburger" at Butcher Block! Dough burgers supposedly originated during the Great Depression. Adding flour was a great way to stretch hamburger meat. While possibly born out of necessity, it has remained a part of the Southern diet due to its delectable taste. I’ve eaten my share